View Single Post
Old December 14th, 2014, 07:13 PM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 60 1001 Wideside Custom BBW, 62 K1001 Wideside BBW and 1966 1001 Wideside BBW w/ Sport Trim option
GMCNUT will become famous soon enoughGMCNUT will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Correct GMC vs. Chevy Truck Wheels, 1960-66

So to first address Ken, if I count down to the 5th post you are referring to, its the one where I posted the light blue wheel, so if that is the right post you are referring to when you ask why that wheel is being referred to as a GMC wheel, all I can say is that I have no saved pictures and no discovered images anywhere on the internet nor any memories of seeing these specific wheels in my 20+ years of truck experience as being original equipment on any Chevrolet pickups in any model year. Does not mean they are GMC-specific in application, but certainly gives me reason to believe this to be the case, and am absolutely welcoming of anyone's challenging intel that can be dug up that might refute this hypothesis based on sheer observation. Currently, I have seen evidence to suggest that this same "squisher" style 3 clip wheel as seen in post #5 may have started with the "S" series trucks (58 & 59) and carried on to the "N" series in 60 & 61.

To address Greg, I already thought about that - all these wheels are date coded, so the ones on your 60 can be date checked to see if the wheels have a 1959 date on them or not, and same for these others which would need a 59 or later date as well. So the potter type wheels that are on your 60 started in 1947 with 6 clips, and were used throughout the 1950's - could be they were used on some 60-61 GMC's but I have not ever seen these in use on one I could positively ID to be original to the truck except your truck, so currently I am still of the opinion that the squisher style are the correct standard wheels for 60 & 61 and possibly 58 & 59 S series trucks too. The only pics I have seen of these squisher style non-potters wheel types on S series trucks have been 1959 specifically, so I am wondering if they are 59-61 more than 58-61. Just dont know yet. The potters wheel is what came from the factory on all 58 Cameos and I believe was also used on some 57's and 59 Apache's too. I have so far not seen any good evidence to suggest any 60-61 GMC's came with Potters wheel style wheels but certainly do not rule it out as a possibility.

1960 1001 Custom Cab short wideside BBW, 305A V6, factory PB, Hood Jet, Radio and Hydramatic.

1962 K1000 4x4 short wideside, BBW, 305D w/ SM420, PTO Winch

1966 1001 Custom Cab short wideside, w/ super rare Sport Trim option interior (bucket seats)