View Single Post
Old February 12th, 2015, 12:22 PM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: New guy looking for help with 1962 GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1962flattop View Post
Good point. I will make sure I check once I get the truck home.

One last question. As far as I know the engine is all original. That being said, do I need to use a lead additive in the gas? I assume that I use 87 octane. And how about oil? Is there a recommended oil weight and additive to use in the V6. The truck has 75k miles on it.
87 octane is fine, but not Ethanol. Find a place that has real gas or the alcohol in the ethanol gas will tear up your carburetor. You don't need to add a lead additive.

For the oil everyone has a favorite, but something high in zinc is preferred because it's an older flat tappet engine. I use Rotella 15w40 Diesel oil with a boron based friction modifier to keep things spinning smooth and protected.

The GMC engines are based on a diesel design so keep them lubricated and they'll run longer than you will.

One more thing, make sure you get the short oil filter. There's a 6 inch filter and a 9 inch filter. The long one is for a different engine. You want carquest part number 85121 or Fram part number CH106PL.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.