View Single Post
Old October 14th, 2014, 05:52 AM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 87 VS 63... Hard choice.

Quote:
1963 GMC C10

Pros
one of my favorite model years
little rust
seems cheap to me
no emissions
short bed

Cons
no hood
no doors
needs new tires
235 I6 instead of 305 V6 (which i wanted)
parts availability for the engine
unknown changes to frame to install non-standard engine (i can only assume it needed new mounting points, tranny changes / mods, etc.
would need new paint
new bed floor
needs tires immediately

Cost: $900

So i figure in the end, $900 truck + $600 hood (repro online) + 2x doors $300 ea roughly. 305E V6 $100-$800 depending on what i find, possible tranny parts (un known cost) mounting (free with help of welding friend) cherry picker $400+ for one able to lift the 305 big block, tires, and possibly
more.
For a truck that stripped out, $900 is way too much. No hood or doors?? I'd think maybe $100 bucks for a non-running stripped truck.

Heck, I have a '62 1000 series (it is -not- a C10, it is a GMC 1000) long bed that needs work, but is primarily complete and I'd sell it for at least half that.

I could part with one of my 305s if asked nicely... I also have an extra hood (even wrecking yards are less than $600 for a hood). I don't have any good doors, I have a pair that would work though. A bit of rust but I wouldn't charge anything near $300 (and neither would a wrecking yard). Those online parts typically are made of less steel and don't always fit correctly, although never needing to buy those parts online I don't have direct experience. One can almost always find original parts in the yards, even though scrapping has become typical.
There is a yard in Washington that had a dozen or more reasonably complete GMCs of this era (and a very organized yard it is).

Oh, and NO changes to the frame to change from I6 to 305. Just different motor mounts (frame to engine). Same transmission usually, just a different bell housing. $400 for a cherry picker? you can certainly buy them for less. When I bought mine several years ago it was $300. *any* good picker will lift one of these engines. They only weigh about a 1/2 ton max all decked out.
mailto:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500