View Single Post
Old February 5th, 2024, 03:51 PM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
vwgreg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Looking for information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowbar View Post
Hmm. I'd pass on that one if the other is in better shape. There is a large chance that water got into the cylinders because the spark plugs are missing, causing rust and locking up the engine.

Since it is a manual conversion, it can be done properly or shoddy. Have to check for that also.
Well, I do like the 68/72/whatever it is, more. Nothing against 66 or earlier (I like 61/62) but parts are all over the place which makes it easier for me.

I would expect to pull the head and see it full of water. On the other hand, I have located four V6s, three 305, and one 351 under $500 within 100 miles that all claim run. The 351 has one thing I want, a factory-mounted air compressor. The offer I have in mind still sits within my budget with another engine, just getting it swapped out would be a little problem (the engine lift is in the back of my storage container).

I looked at the clutch linkage, it looked alright to me. I tried it and found it to have good resistance, so I have to assume it is functional. If I get this truck and pull the engine, I will surely make sure everything is right.

I just had a thought, I wonder if they just removed the cab and bed and put it all on another chassis. I have to look for the frame serial number - anything is possible.

I did look at the '66, here is what I found.

it looked good from a distance, but up close, you can see the painted rust on the doors and fenders.

The interior is non-existent (meaning no seat covers), raccoons were in it, they ripped everything up, even chewed up the steering wheel (seen this happen a few times with raccoon damage), and raccoon poop everywhere, some fresh. I don't know where they got into the cab but I think the door was left open and shut before I came to see the truck.

The cab has rust, rockers, cab corners, and a windshield area. The floor isn't bad one or two spots of rust our but small. it isn't as bad as I've seen on 73-79 trucks so it is workable for me. What is with these trucks and no wiper arms? these two (1966 and 1968) both don't have them.

It does not run, brought a battery to try (suggestion by the seller) to get it going, but nothing with a little starting fluid. Didn't try much but it is free! it is missing a couple of parts (the fuel pump line to the carb is missing and the regulator). Under the engine, it looks like there is a rear seal leak, the oil has the same smell as what is on the dipstick, which smells odd, something like Castor oil of all things. It is a 305 V6, he said he didn't remember but thought it was a 400 or something like that.

Looking at it for the first time, it has not moved in years, the tires are all flat and dry-rotted. Not too worried about the tires.

It is a 3000, 10k gvw on the tag, which also says it is a 305 V6. It has a 12-foot bed on it but the wood is rotted in the rear which gave me an idea of what was going on below it.

Now the really bad part - there is frame rot in the back at the left rear spring perch, it is a very odd type of rust out both the web and the flange are rusted, I have never seen it like this. I put my finger through it in four or five spots in the area. It looks like the truck was used to move or spread salt or some other very caustic material. It is crusty on the right frame rail, exactly opposite of the rust. I wonder if I can even patch the frame or if this will be a parts truck. I didn't take measurements of the webbing to see if I can get a frame section that size but if I get it, I will find a piece for a repair.

I also found serious rust up near the cab, the rear cab mounts are flakey, and I don't trust them much to hold up without removing the cab to replace them.

So I talked with the owner for about 45 minutes about the truck, about different things, and found out he worked for my cousin in the 1960s, which was nice to know.

However, there were some inconsistencies about the truck that came out, like the title status (*not important to me) so after a while, he was starting to be reluctant to sell it.

Toward the end of the conversation, I made a fair offer, it wasn't close to asking but it was fair for the condition of the truck. He said 'Maybe' but then he said it has been part of the family, blah blah blah, and decided not to sell it at all which I get, I have dealt with elderly people like this most of my life and just don't get upset about it. I told him the offer was good for a couple of days, and if he changed his mind, he could call me.

When I was ready to leave, his son pulled up. I had a nice conversation with him. He filled me in on the truck and what it was used for before it was parked (spreading salt and another caustic material), he said he would talk to his dad about the offer (which he would have said yes to because it wasn't worth much more than that) and see if he would accept it. He said there is a title to it, and he also offered to move it to my place for free (60 miles) if I do buy it but I told him he already said no and the offer is good for a few days.

I was told about another truck, it is a 66 4500(??) grain truck with a v6, it is larger than I want but I will look at it sometime later this week.