View Single Post
Old November 29th, 2013, 01:38 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: My woodsplitter project

Ya'll ready to close this thing out? Me too! I got a lot done today. Only a few little things left and itll be done!

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

this morning I dug the used hydraulic tank out of the plastic bag it has been hibernating in. It looks rough but it holds. It's sitting on my paint and work-it-over tree stump so something is about to happen.

WHACK! 4 lbs of sledge manliness laid against it's head. BOOM!

I hammered for about 15 minutes, an eternity for a weenie armed pecker neck like me. My muscles ached but I got the little frame on the bottom straightened out pretty good.

And as I went to upload the next picture I accidentally copied all my pictures for today to a subfolder in my working folder. No problem i thought. I'll just delete the folder. FAIL!!!!

All of my pictures for today were deleted! Gone forever. GREAT! thanks computer!

I'll try to blab my way though it though. Bear with me....

So I banged out the little brackets on the tank flat. Then I took it over to the splitter and laid it on the side spot over the wheel. I moved it around so I had room to get a wrench on the drain nut and semi-centered it. Then I marked it with a soapstone pencil. I had to cut about 4 inches off one side and about 2 off the other.
Pictures would really be nice here.

Then while I had the torch out I set the grass on fire. Actually I was aiming at my pusher bracket but metal flew everywhere. I put the fire out (had pictures of that too) and put a big bucket of water under my work area. It worked to keep the fires out.

So that was my tank and my pusher cut. The pusher fit my cylinder now that I had a notch cut out of it, and my tank fit with just a little over hang to weld on.

I also put my paper with the four engine holes on it over my mounting plate and marked the holes in spots where the bolts wouldn't hit the support brackets below. I torch cut those too. They turned out pretty good.

Again, no picture so here's a guy cutting from the internet..

Lame huh? I'm sorry

Well after all my cutting and fitting I went ahead and painted my tank with bedliner stuff so it would be easy to touch-up after being abused on the road. I knew I'd have to scrape some off to weld but it was easier to paint before I welded it on. I also painted the pusher with bedliner.

And the engine mount.

Then I welded the tank to the frame above the left side (facing forward). Next I attached the pusher and saw that it was good.

then I dragged out the old motor I have (14 hp Kohler) with a pump on it. It used to pump concrete somewhere in another life. I redid the carb and fuel pump and now it runs great! Again no pic, but here's something similar to mine, except mine is crusty with concrete and old age.

I had four bolts that were too long for bolting the engine down so I put nuts on them, then washers, then bolted them through the mount into the engine. they held well. The engine on the back like this really makes the whole thing balanced. Pick up on the front just a little and it'll wanna lay down backwards. Maybe i should put a skidplate under the back?

That covered the engine, pump (also painted black), engine mount, hydraulic tank, and pusher. And that's where I left it. I still need to fill the hydraulic tank with fluid and run hoses around and about. But here's how it looks right now.

I have zero idea how to hook up the switch that makes it pressurize the cylinder or whatever the other piece is that's left. i'm waiting on info from my father-in-law now to see where everything is supposed to go. With luck I should be able to try it out in a couple of days!

Edit: Again I'm sorry for the pics! I could just shoot myself.

I got a picture recovery program off the internet so I'm trying it now. Wish me luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.