View Single Post
Old November 14th, 2014, 09:22 PM
Banned

Truck: 1965 1/2 ton
hjennings is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Forced Induction

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R Leifheit View Post
Okay, I guess I don't understand flow...
Flow of "X" divided by 8 cylinders will be less than the same flow divided by 6 cylinders. Flow of 48 divided by 8 would be 6 per cylinder while the same 48 divided by 6 would be 8 per cylinder.
The other way to look at it is that if the flow is the same as a v8, they might mean the flow per cylinder is comparable.

305 E isn't magnum. a 305 is a 305 is a 305, essentially.
351E or M is the magnum vs. 351C.

Since you have in a previous posting mentioned changing the weight of the internal components, previous experiences may not apply... but stock these engines do not take high RPM well. Being so solid and heavy they seem to come apart if the revolutions are taken too high. Got mine stuck, tried to power out, and spun/destroyed bearings (ultimately threw a rod, but that was my fault for using it before fixing it, but indicates damage was done due to the high revolutions).

Yeah you are looking at the flow backwards. The same flow of the V8 heads has to fill 8 smaller cylinders as opposed to 6 larger cylinders. Same flow rate trying to fill a much larger cylinder equals out to a lesser flow rate (effectively).

I'm aware the 305E is not a magnum, however there are different 305s. There is an A, B, C, D etc. Difference in intakes and heads is my understanding. Still not a "magnum" though. But back to my point.... a 305E head flow rate vs a 351E..... I think obviously the 351 Magnum (E) heads would outflow 305 heads, but you have to do the math (per above) and see if it makes up for the extra 46 cubic inches or not. The 305, while having less flow, may have more flow per cubic inches than the 351E. Maybe. I don't know without knowing the numbers and doing the math. Either way, I want to start with the GMC V6 that has the most flow per cubic inches.

As far as removing weight.... we will definitely be doing a LOT of machine work to the crank and probably the rods as well. Custom made pistons. Stronger stud kit will replace all the bolts. Everything will be matched weight and fully balanced.

Of course we still have no clue as to how many RPMs we can squeeze out of one of these engines because nobody has done this before. We'll have to see how much weight we can remove, judge the strength of everything, do some calculations, and guestimate a max RPM.

Fun stuff, right?