Thread: Diesel swap?
View Single Post
Old January 28th, 2014, 11:15 PM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
Hantke is on a distinguished road
Default Diesel swap?

I seem to get various responses when trolling forums for information on diesel swaps, I know at one point there was the toro-flow (i literally have 0 knowledge on this engine) but i'm currently looking at a 1964-65 GMC step side, no idea what motor is in it, or even if it is still running (last i heard it was drivable last summer). Judging by its condition (yellowish white and white body panels) its had body panels either replaced or sat in partial shade for a long time, it has large dirt tires on it (but no lift as far as i can tell) and appears to be 2wd. As much as i love the idea of rebuilding a 305 V6 (got laughed at by my local machinest, apparently that is a "joke" engine that people tell new mechanics... sigh... (he's roughly 60-something so he should know better!) it may not be financially feasible, though i would keep and rebuild it over time to place in a second truck (i'm really starting to love these engines from just what i've researched!).

Sorry, long post. anyways, down to my question, does anybody know and decent diesel swaps for these trucks? my goal is a 2wd step side diesel with decent mileage (if applicable, not a huge deal) and slightly larger (not huge, but size-appropriate) tires compared to stock, i plan to restore the body and paint it all the way around, inside and out and would like a nice engine, i don't want to be "just another SBC 350" on the road as these are over-used (though the product support is almost worth it!).
I thought of a 4BT as i know a bit about them, though i don't want a under-powered truck for it's application as i have seem them used primarily in toyota FJ40's (similar to a wrangler)
I couldn't find much info on pre-70 diesel swaps, i found maybe one, but it was a suburban.

Sorry for the really long first post, but from what i see on the internet, you guys seem to be the most trust-worthy in giving real advice, thank you very much for supporting my trolling habits!