View Single Post
Old December 12th, 2014, 02:53 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 60 1001 Wideside Custom BBW, 62 K1001 Wideside BBW and 1966 1001 Wideside BBW w/ Sport Trim option
GMCNUT will become famous soon enoughGMCNUT will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Correct GMC vs. Chevy Truck Wheels, 1960-66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1960HDGMC View Post
Point well taken. It is a long way down the line from 1960. The closest we can get are extant examples that are "supposed" to be correct and original. I just saw a wheel that looks to be correct factory 1960-61 GMC 1000 series, and it looks slightly different than all the examples we have amassed here so far.( I will post it here.) I wish we had more early pictures taken by owners that would show wheels that are "probably" original to there trucks. The only pic I have of early GMC 1960 trucks (taken by or for GMC) shows the Potter Wheels like my truck. But I am fairly certain that they are not the ones designed for the production of these year trucks. Forgive my lack of nomenclature. I meant Suburban when I said Cameo. Cameo is Chevrolet, and I think the equivalent GMC is known as the Suburban Carrier. I have seen it called Suburban Pickup also, but I do not know if this is also correct. Please let me know. Does anyone know if ALL Suburban Carrier wheels had the nubbins for the presumed mandatory rings that mount on them? Could you order a Suburban Carrier without the rings? It almost seems oxymoronic, but was it possible? My wheels look like Cameo or Suburban Carrier wheels to a friend of mine. But they lack the nubbins for the rings. I simply wonder if they could actually be Cameo or Suburban Carrier wheels without rings.
This wheel with the white and blue hubcap looks to me to be the same as my light blue example wheel above. So back to Suburban Pickups - they never came with an accessory trim ring at all, so only Chevrolet Cameo's and other 57-59 trucks had them. Cameo's had the famous fluted trim rings as standard equipment, but they were available as an option on custom cab models in 57-59. The Chevy Cameo was called the "Cameo Carrier" so unfortunately the enthusiasts of today have spread the "Carrier" name over to the GMC Suburban Pickup and made it Suburban Carrier - totally incorrect, but 99% of people including magazine writers call it Suburban Carrier. I am changing this mis-information one person at a time

1960 1001 Custom Cab short wideside BBW, 305A V6, factory PB, Hood Jet, Radio and Hydramatic.

1962 K1000 4x4 short wideside, BBW, 305D w/ SM420, PTO Winch

1966 1001 Custom Cab short wideside, w/ super rare Sport Trim option interior (bucket seats)