View Single Post
Old April 21st, 2017, 04:58 PM

Truck: 1966 1500
surfamtn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 305e v6 engine rebuild

Congratulations on acquiring this truck. Looks like a great one! I have to agree with the above post though, why rebuild? It seems like there is a common theory that just because you have an old truck with a lot of miles on it that you should start rebuilding the engine. I don't know that that's necessarily true, if it's running great then what's the problem?

That said, there are still parts available to rebuild these. I'm not sure about pistons, but I got bearings through my engine builder, and they're also listed on Egge's website. I just looked and I already through the boxes away for all of my bearings, I can only remember that they were a black and red box, LOL. May have been sealed power or something like that but I'm not sure. I had a ton of help through this website, that's probably the most important thing to remember. I even found what I believe to be a new old stock camshaft on eBay.

Gaskets seem to be available at various places through the Internet, Fel-Pro still makes them. I think they are now in stock at Summit racing.com, I also got a set through rock auto (but they have a habit of sending me the wrong parts and then charging me for return shipping)
TJ seems to have good luck with Oriely.

A word of warning: everyone you talk to, outside of this forum, it's going to tell you that this motor is worthless, impossible to find parts for, heavy, not worth rebuilding, a boat anchor, etc. They will all then begin to pontificate that you should pull it out and replace it with a small block Chevy. Then they will have some cockamamie exclamation that because it has two more cylinders it is fundamentally superior. These people lack imagination, motivation and any appreciation for anything that they can't order chrome repop parts from whatever catalog is laying around. After rebuilding my 305 V6 this winter couldn't be more happy that I did, it's not a super high-performance ProMod truck by any means, but it's the right motor for the right truck and it works great for when I use it for. I get so many questions and compliments about whether it still has a V-6 in it, people seem to be shocked when they find these still running. It's a great piece of history. It's unique and I love it.

You have a great-looking truck on your hands right there, I agree with WE7X, I would focus on getting to know the thing and doing simple upkeep and maintenance. I think you're rushing into rebuilding it if there's nothing that it immediately needs. Cruise through this website a bunch more, you're going to find a ton of post about how durable and long-lasting these engines are. Drive it, learn it, love it. When it comes time to rebuild it you've already found the place with the most info��