View Single Post
Old March 7th, 2013, 12:51 AM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Newer Oils in Older Engines

Hello again FetchMeAPepsi!

In regards as to what oil to use, I have to recommend Synthetic oil, (it certainly won't hurt your engine) and I am currently using Mobil 1 15w50 in my 1999 Pontiac Bonneville (3.8 V-6, never rebuilt) with 280,575 miles on it. I go five to six thousand miles between oil and filter changes, and only use about a half quart of oil. Synthetic is a bit more expensive, but the extended mileage between changes more than makes up for the extra cost, and there is an added benefit (at least in my neck of the woods) of easier starting in winter months since synthetic oils don't thicken up like regular engine oils do. I have been using synthetic oil for several years now, and I will not go back to using regular engine oil since I feel synthetic is far superior to regular oil. Of course, these are just my thoughts, and others may disagree with me as to the benefits of using synthetic oil. I am a very picky individual when it comes to engine care, and if I don't believe in using it in my own engine, I'm certainly not going to recommend it to someone else.