Thread: inline six woes
View Single Post
Old October 20th, 2014, 01:14 AM

Truck: 1966 GMC
Pops is on a distinguished road
Default Re: inline six woes

Hi Doug. Have you ever noticed that some guys will post over and over until they resolve their problem and then abruptly stop updating. That hurts.
That being said, I want to post until I'm out of the woods with I-6 woes. As you know, it helps to describe perfectly and consider air, fuel, and ignition when looking into performance probs.
For starters, I believe I was over-attempting to fix my engine bugs by leaning it out. It seems my engine wanted a bit more fuel. Secondly, vacuum leaks have to be addressed or nothing will ever smooth out. MOST all vacuum gaskets, hoses, valves, grommets were checked and replaced as needed. I am also now set up with a paper air cleaner instead of oil bath system (jury still out on this trial).
My latest find is a very faint hiss behind the booster; heard only inside the cab near the push rod. It takes a hose to hear it. It may be a normal sound; but I'm digging as I write. A bad booster usually gets a louder hiss as you depress the pedal; mine does not. However, if I'm not suppose to hear anything at all, then I need to get it right if I'm to move forward intelligently. Am I right? The engine needs to breath exactly as designed. As evidence to this, I disconnected the check valve while the engine was running and the truck stalled out. Hope this helps others.