View Single Post
Old June 25th, 2017, 06:39 PM

Truck: 1964 SWB WS
ItalOso is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Manual to Automatic

I have installed new front power disc brakes, but it didn't shorten the brake pedal...which would be nice.

I am looking for a resource that sells the "square or rectangular rubber bumpers" that the brake and clutch pedal hit, at rest, up near where the column mounts. They're worn out and need to be replaced. They would hold the pedal arms closer to the floor, giving me more room to lift and move my feet. Checked out LMC parts, but their picture shows a totally different design. Found a place that rebuilds the pedal assembly on Ebay, but didn't save page. Don't know the proper term for the parts.

Drove it yesterday to a shop to put it in the air. Going to install the new fuel tank between the frame in the rear by the bumper, with a side fill. Any recommendations for a new tank? Side fill door, square or round on the rear panel?

As for the bench seat, I measured the original seat to have about 20-22" on the base and 20" from the crease to the top of the seat. The base hits me about mid-thigh. The springs are shot because of my size. Lowering it would be good too, will talk to my upholsterer about dense foam & springs out completely. Will look at ilvracn's recommendation for that 88-99 seat. Stock is 58-59" wide.

In removing the tank, I measured about 4-5" more space that a new seat would be able to slide back...although as AZKen mentioned, the backrest would be quite vertical.
Under the small rear window, the cab flares inwards, "the bulkhead" I suppose, as somewhat of the backrest support. As anyone ever altered/cut this out for more vertical room? Or would the rear of the cab lose it's integrity to a point?

Does anyone know the stock height of the steering column? I don't have power steering and looking to replace to a tilt, with a smaller steering wheel. Need to make decision on replacing the SM-420 Muncie out and put a turbo 350 automatic in with the shifter on the column. May even go with a crate 350 engine too.
If I get the extended room with the seat project, I may keep the Muncie..trying to do too much at once!!! My rebuilt 250 runs well but I am more than cramped around the stock wheel and angle of my right foot on the accelerator.
Thanks for your help.