View Single Post
Old April 8th, 2013, 05:04 AM

Truck: 1960 C-10 Short Fleet
raycow is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Water leak and it looks bad.

1. A head gasket can leak water, but normally not badly enough that you can see a stream coming out.

2. Used heads are available, usually removed from failed engines. Left and right are the same. I can't offer any firm price info, but I would definitely expect under $100. If the head needs additional work (valves ground, etc) that would cost extra. I would strongly recommend that you have any used head magnafluxed before installing it or having any work done on it.

3. There is a widely accepted procedure for repairing cracked castings. It consists of installing a series of overlapping threaded plugs. If your engine is otherwise good, this would be preferable to starting over with another block.

4. You can pull the engine with the transmission attached. However, I have found that it generally goes easier if you take the transmission off the engine first. The 4 speed transmission weighs almost 150 pounds, so you don't want to try this without a jack or a strong helper.

5. An inline six will install fairly easily if you use a Chevy truck bellhousing. Your rear mounts will be the same as they are now, but you will need to install Chevy perches for the front mounts. You can keep your present transmission.

Ray

Last edited by raycow; April 8th, 2013 at 05:17 AM.