View Single Post
Old February 28th, 2017, 02:37 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: Installing new glass in vent window

I'm not a fan of "glue". It will be just fine without IF correct tape is used. Glass used to be .25 thk (1/4 in). Now it is 6mm, which is .236. Measure your glass to confirm. Then measure your frame slot. Subtract glass thk from slot width. Divide by 2, That is the tape thickness you should use. Try a strip of tape on the glass to see if the fit is a press fit. (Possible light rubber mallet hit with frame in mid air or on padded carpet). You can use soap. Some people use WD or some use ATF and other ideas. They say it swells the tape and holds the glass better. I think that is the old way with the older tape compounds. Some people use "glue". Like maybe GE weatherstrip compound, maybe black RTV. Don't know. I just use soap. I wouldn't use Bath and Window Silicone type stuff.
Without measuring the tape and slot, people do have problems because the guys selling the tape may not know anything about it and give you what they have. A good hot rod shop or glass shop will have many thicknesses of tape.

Last edited by AZKen; February 28th, 2017 at 07:39 PM.