View Single Post
Old September 14th, 2016, 01:45 PM

Truck: 1966 1002
gmccollector is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Original paint scheme?

Here's a few pictures of my red 1966 GMC. Truck has 18,000 original miles. I bought this from the original owner and it has never been repainted. Behind the grille is Red , not black. Its almost as if they painted the entire grille surround. When they painted the front ends on these trucks , they painted individual pieces , not assembled. Painting of your truck also depends on where it was built. If it was a GMC only plant , your bed will have Black rear inner fenders. Those beds were also painted in pieces and all the assembly bolts are cad plated instead of painted like a Chevy. Chevy beds were painted as an assembly. Yes the hood center bar was left in factory black primer. I believe they used some sort of quick stencil to cover it during the paint process as there's over spray , meaning no sharp tape lines. The bottom of the hood is also red where as Chevy is mostly black. Lots of differences between the two trucks but you need to research which plant your truck was built at to get it right. Here's some detail shots of my truck before I cleaned and detailed it. Look close at the grille, the only black paint you see, is the grilles mounting bracket.