View Single Post
Old February 16th, 2016, 05:06 PM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Help: Metal in Oil Pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchampagne View Post
Hello all! Quick background - I purchased a 65 GMC Suburban 2 weeks ago. I was told the 305 was rebuilt approx. 10,000 miles ago. The engine was running rough and was told it was the carb. I installed a new carb but still was running rough. Pulled the valve covers and found 2 bent pushrods, 2 loose push rods, and 2 stuck valves. Everything else looks new. I pulled the oil pan off to see what was going on below. Everything looks good and cranks smooth, but I found these 4 clips/retainers attached to the magnet in the bottom of the pan. I apologize up front for being inexperienced, but I have no clue what these are? Is it a sign that the engine needs pulled and completely rebuilt again? Is this something I can fix while the engine is still in? I really appreciate any input you can provide. Thank you.
Ken
Greetings fellow club member!

I hate to have to tell you this--but I do believe it would be in your best interest to tear the engine down again. what you have found in the oil pan are broken wrist pin retaining clips. This type of clip is most commonly found in agricultural or industrial type engines employing "full floating" wrist pins. Most automotive engines use wrist pins that are press fit to the connecting rod and do not use retaining clips of any kind.