View Single Post
Old December 25th, 2015, 07:01 PM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: SO who came up with the GMC V6's???

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bongert View Post
Greetings bigblockv6!

I can't help but agree with you, and I too am saddened by the fact that GM discontinued the Big Block V-6 engines. Their durability put all other engine designs to absolute shame, no matter who the engine manufacturer was. By the way, I failed to mention that my old '63 Chevy was traded in for a brand new Dodge one ton pickup. Apparently the original owner of my '63 Chevy was not too happy with the fact that he had to replace 3 pistons in the original 292 I-6, and the fact that they probably were not all replaced at the same time resulting in more than one engine tear down. I'm not sure what engine (V-8 or Slant I-6) the Dodge truck that he bought had in it, but I will go as far as to say that even the Dodge Slant I-6 was a better engine than the Chevy 292 I-6.
That was a sad day for me back in Nov 1974 when went over to our GMC dealer to pick up a new light switch for the 68 before my father found out I broke it to pieces, I was only 15. Anyway there was not one Medium duty truck or larger 7500 series truck on the lot with a V6. I was quite surprised to see a J-7500 series with a 427 V8 for the first time. Some 6 months prior to that just about every medium duty( at least 25-30 trucks) all 7500 series trucks were V6 equipped, my impression then was the V6 was alive and well and they had no problem selling them off. Funny thing was in November there was still quite a few V8 74 medium duty trucks left over with the mix of 75 models.