View Single Post
Old January 10th, 2015, 12:27 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 4x4 GMC CECILIA
FetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of lightFetchMeAPepsi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Rebuild engine vs. Replace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbs34 View Post
I have very little knowledge about these classic trucks so go easy on me.

I have a 1965 GMC Fleetside V6 3-speed manual. It's been in my family since it was new but has been sitting up for a number of years. All the pieces are there and everything is original. I would like to rehab it enough to drive it occasionally for fun. At a minimum, I think it would require the engine and transmission to be rebuilt, plus whatever suspension repairs would be required.

Questions for those in the know:

*Is it more cost effective to rebuild an older motor like this or should I look at buying a newer motor? If so, which motor? 5.7, 5.3?

*If I were to go with a newer motor, what do I need to look at with respect to compatibility with the transmission?

*Cost to rebuild the transmission?

I sincerely appreciate any help with this. Feel like I'm flying blind.

Hold on a second....I say this with brotherly love...but

You can't go in a 60-66 GMC club and ask if you should cut your truck to pieces and make it into a bastardized shevvy. Ever. They werent the same truck in the old days like they are now. You're just asking for someone to look you up, beat you senseless with a GMC operator's manual, and tow you around with their V6 for 40 plus miles!

Seriously though you might be surprised at how well she has held up over the years. I'll bet if you rebuild the carb, change the fluids, replace or clean the gas tank and lines, and put a new battery in her she'll take off and run. You cant kill the 305 V6. You just can't. Unless you drain all the oil out and jump on the highway. That might do it.

Try squirting a little starting fluid in the carb and see if it tries to turn over. You might get a surprise from your piece of history there. Watch out for wasps though, they seem to like old trucks as much as we do

If you need to rebuild your tranny I've got a full writeup in my Cecilia build thread in my sig. It was easy to get the parts too. If you need to rebuild the engine, that has it's own challenges, but it can be done.

Oh, and where's the pics, man? Gotta see the old girl!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.