View Single Post
Old January 12th, 2015, 08:53 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC Fleetside Custom V6
cbs34 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rebuild engine vs. Replace?

OK, OK, I get it. I meant no harm in mentioning the motor replacement, and certainly don't want to be book-whipped about the head and face. Nor do I have any desire to be drug around town behind a truck that I didn't think would ever run again.

I guess a better question would be how readily available are parts for these trucks? And, how expensive? A little history on the truck...my aunt's husband bought her new and my dad/brother bought her when their brother-in-law passed away. So, it's been in the family since she was new and my dad's had it since around 1967. My dad took good care of her but as he aged he didn't have the ability to maintain her. When I started working at 15, I put every dime I earned into getting her running again and had her painted (I know, I know). The work was done by a friend of my dad's who was the stereotypical shade-tree mechanic, meaning he would turn wrenches in between swigs of beer (not that there's anything wrong with that so long as you can maintain). Also, I paid to have the seat reupholstered and put some wheels/tires on her. Drove her for a few months but she never ran quite right, didn't shift well, and wasn't practical as an every day driver. After that, my dad would drive her occasionally when he could until he passed. So, I'd guess she has been sitting up for at least 10 years.

I'm somewhat handy but far from a mechanic but I may just drain the fluids, put in a battery and see if she'll turn over. Figure I don't have much to lose. I think the odometer sits between 110-125k but can't quite recall. The truck's about 30 minutes from me but I'll get up there this week and post some pics. I'm sure I'll have more questions after I dig into it a bit. I sincerely appreciate all the help!

Not real sure where to start if she won't crank. I guess I will have to find a mechanic and have him get to work on her. Long shot here but does anyone happen to know a good mechanic in the New Braunfels, Texas area that would be a good fit for this project?