View Single Post
Old January 13th, 2015, 03:59 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: Rebuild engine vs. Replace?

I was in exactly the same boat. Not in love with the V6. Just didn't know about them. My 1960 305A had sit too long without heads on and rust in bores. I love the actual truck and everything else. Was going to put in a Chevy motor in the GMC. That is not a big deal, it's saving a truck anyway you can. 305 parts are too hard to find and having any motor rebuilt is costly and risky. I decided to try awhile to find a local motor to keep it original. I knew that as cool as all here think they are, they are not wanted by the masses. Found one that was running, cleaned it up and such and will use it. The decision is yours to rebuild, buy another or put in a Chevy (which is in the same family). I don't think a reasonable person would think less of you. There are people here who don't even own a GMC. You at least have one. I do see that these motors are pretty neat after taking it all apart and reading about them. If that does not hit you, no big. Put in a 454.
The truth is, as has been stated, it will run if you do the proper "start up" procedures, when it comes alive you will be as excited as Dr. Frankenstein was. Most old 4 speeds are bullet proof. Drain and fill.

Last edited by AZKen; January 13th, 2015 at 07:34 PM.