View Single Post
Old December 25th, 2015, 03:59 AM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: SO who came up with the GMC V6's???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockv6 View Post
All the Chevrolet engines whether small or bigblock V8 and sixes were nothing but passenger car engines. Chevrolet even converted the big block V8 into a truck engine by adding an extra compression ring to the pistons, adding an inch to the deck height and there the 366 and 427 trucks engines were born, truly over glorified passenger car engines and GMC was forced to drop their V6 for these junk piles in the mid 70's.

Greetings bigblockv6!

I can't help but agree with you, and I too am saddened by the fact that GM discontinued the Big Block V-6 engines. Their durability put all other engine designs to absolute shame, no matter who the engine manufacturer was. By the way, I failed to mention that my old '63 Chevy was traded in for a brand new Dodge one ton pickup. Apparently the original owner of my '63 Chevy was not too happy with the fact that he had to replace 3 pistons in the original 292 I-6, and the fact that they probably were not all replaced at the same time resulting in more than one engine tear down. I'm not sure what engine (V-8 or Slant I-6) the Dodge truck that he bought had in it, but I will go as far as to say that even the Dodge Slant I-6 was a better engine than the Chevy 292 I-6.