View Single Post
Old May 22nd, 2017, 02:14 PM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: HEI vs Pertronic pointless ignition systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockv6 View Post
Yes I know about those two wires on the pickup coil, though I've never had them break under normal conditions. The only time I had the wires break on me is when I was gutting out a Pontiac HEI for parts.

Greetings again!

Long story short, both of my Buicks were 1978 Electra Limited cars, and from what I was told at my local parts store was that the wires on the OEM pick-up coils were not heavy enough to stand up to the flexing they received whenever the vacuum advance moved the "breaker plate" that the pick-up coil was mounted to. The replacement pick-up coils had visibly heavier wires than the OEM coils. After replacing the coils with after market parts, I had no more problems involving the pick-up coils. The only other problem that I had with the GM HEI was that I had one ignition coil go bad. Other than that, the GM HEI was a fairly reliable ignition system.