View Single Post
Old February 21st, 2017, 06:09 AM

Truck: 6066GMC
AZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really niceAZKen is just really nice
Default Re: dash lights come on when I depress brake/no brake lights

Well, I don't know if you have a printed circuit board behind the gauges or not. I am assuming you are talking about gauge illumination bulbs. You have a gray wire for the bulbs. The gray wire goes thru a instrument panel connector to the fuse panel. On the Fuse panel it is near a green wire that goes to the headlight switch. One of the wires from the brake switch (orange) goes to the headlight switch also. That orange is a hot wire I think. So some how via those connections or at the fuse box, somebody is touching somebody they shouldn't be. We could never tell you exactly what's wrong there. Just letting you know you need to study a wiring diagram and focus on those wires. Also be sure your actual brake pedal arm is not hitting/moving wires when you push on the brake. That arm and it's linkage or clutch arm can be right near all that wiring birds nest and physically forcing a contact between wires or fuse terminals. The evidence for this is the fact you jiggled it and it changed the wires enough but now they are getting smashed/torqued again. Don't know.
My wire colors could be wrong or your wires could be changed. So don't go by colors, go by the function and a wiring diagram

Your cleaning of the panel mounting screws have no bearing on anything. The fuse box is not grounded. All grounding is at the component. From battery to motor to chassis to body. Other than those connections, there are very few ground wires running around. Fuse box is all hot. It sounds like you need to completely take out fuse box someday and "refurbish" all wiring and connections. With the history I read, your truck is NOT reliable for a road trip.

Just keep reporting your progress and we will be glad to stay with you.

Last edited by AZKen; February 21st, 2017 at 08:10 PM.