View Single Post
Old March 13th, 2014, 04:47 AM

Truck: '63 K1000, '66 C4000
Rockdriller is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Blown head gasket vs. cracked block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
Rock Driller, thanks for your help! My mechanical skills aren't the best so, bear with me here. I did run a block test and it was negative. The bumper next to the tail pipe is black, so it seems to be burning lots of oil. Given that the engine is really messy and leaking oil all over the place, I was thinking about buying a gasket set and replacing the head gasket. Would that be a potential fix or should I run other tests first? Much appreciated!
It's always a crap-shoot at this point, Vern.
Pulling an I-6 and doing it on the stand is usually as attractive as leaning over (or jumping in) and doing the job that way.
That being said,....if you do pull it to change the head gskt.... and find out that the head gskt was the problem.....then that gives you something constructive to do with the rest of your gasket set. (and you might find other things that need attention).
But then you have to make a pile of other hard decisions.....like (but not limited to)....do I pressure wash the engine bay....? and while it's so clean and accessible ....do I paint it...? Should I order some grommets...and so on, and on and on...blah blah.
Let me know what you decide...
At least it's not yer D-Driver.