View Single Post
Old January 30th, 2017, 01:14 AM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
Cuttyman9 is on a distinguished road
Default Project Blown 305

I picked up a gmc 305 V6 that I plan to hot rod out a bit.

I was lucky enough to find another in the junkyard to snag some parts from.

My goal: punch out the 305 with aftermarket/custom internals (ideally offset grind down to BBC or SBC rods and use an off the shelf piston for a BBC, if not able to bore it that far use off the shelf BBC Pistons and aftermarket rods with as much stroke as possible)
-Upsize the hole in the rocker arm shaft pedestals, use (BBM BBB or FE full rollers dependent on which is closest to fitting) the shaft size isn't far off.
-build larger shafts for this
-if necessary build new pedestals
-have cam redone for performance and potentially a roller setup(if only defining characteristic is needing to be flat vs banked to work with a roller lifter)
-machine next to lifter bores for link bar
-bush the bores to the correct size for a common engine lifter
-laser cut flanges for the intake to fabricate a steel blower manifold to mount an 8v71 supercharger off an old diesel generator(regardless of if it adds power, it needs to look super mad max-like)
-modify the pan for a deep sump
-build headers using laser cut flanges from thunder v12 (hoping to find magnum heads in the meantime)
-few other ideas but they aren't coming to mind.

My questions:
Does anyone know how thick the bores are? Did they cast one block and bore to desired displacement?
Or did they cast multiple blocks with bore thickness dependent on end displacement?

I ask because if I can I'd like to punch this out as far as I can go (5.125" if possible) and want someone who's had theirs apart and at the machinists testing the cylinder wall thicknesses chime in if possible.