View Single Post
Old April 1st, 2014, 03:38 PM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1000
aphaynes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 1964 GMC 1000 Fleetside

Quote:
aphaynes,

I followed this thread down from where you found the plugged breather cap. My 1964 GMC with a 305E V6 has a different breather setup that leads to the air cleaner housing, but it does have an in-line filter that plugged up on me and apparently caused pressure to build up in the engine, which led to oil being pumped out the dipstick tube. So this is something else to think about. I remember it made a big mess on the passenger side, but I don't recall it spreading so much to the driver's side of the firewall. Before a more experienced neighbor pointed out what was happening, I had twice replaced valve cover gaskets with no affect on oil loss. After cleaning the breather filter (carburetor cleaner is good for this), the problem went away. Good luck finding the oil leak. I know it is hard to track back through the mess.

jrmunn
Thanks for the tip. I am still trying to find out how to remove that crankcase filter carriage so I can ensure I get it cleaned and unplugged. I can't find anything that shows if it screws into the block or is some sort of press fit. I don't want to damage it as it is apparently hard to find and I can't get a good view of it where it is located.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

At work, someone also suggested oil could be coming from distributor seal. I had not considered that but might as well take a good look at it while I am in there.