View Single Post
Old October 9th, 2014, 12:19 AM

Truck: 1965 GMC 1000
aphaynes is on a distinguished road
Question Re: 1964 GMC 1000 Fleetside

Well, I am about ready to remove this funky bumper.

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

However, I have some questions about mounting the standard bumper. First, I assumed, for no apparent reason, that due to the shape of the brackets that the frame would fit between the two bracket pieces on each side. However, in this image from the 1960-1966 Chevy/GMC Truck Assembly manual, it appears that both bracket pieces sit on the outside of the frame rail. Is this correct?

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Also, since my funky bumper was welded to the frame, I have to figure out how to get it off.

It is not apparent in these two pics, but they welded a cross piece between the frame rails as well which have more metal brackets welded between it and the bumper. I am hoping it is far enough back to be out of the way with the funky bumper off. Although in the second pick I am thinking the weld and splatter are interfering with what I assume to be one of the bolt holes.

Once I do get the bumper off, I am really not sure what holes to use to mount the brackets to. Does anyone have pics that show their bumper brackets mounted to the frame? ...Thanks.