Thread: 62 GMC build
View Single Post
Old September 8th, 2013, 02:14 AM

Truck: 62 3/4ton 305 Hydramatic
tommyduncan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 62 GMC build

Decided to tackle the fuel tank today...
It smelled really bad and the previous owner used a stick to see how much fuel was in the tank. He said it came out black the other day when he tried it

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Removing the tank wasn't bad except it was nearly full of the nastiest, stinkiest stuff that actually burns your skin the second it touches it.
I hosed it out and drained it repeatedly and rusty stuff still came out of it. So I decided to pull the sending unit...

To view some links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Maybe you should introduce yourself with a new topic?

Pretty obvious why this one doesn't work (other than it wasn't designed to gauge rusty caustic goo)

Luckily for me Tuckers is pretty close by and had everything in stock.

It went together fairly easily except the o.d. of the new fuel filler tube was larger than the original so the old clamps were no bueno. I had some laying around so no biggie. I also forgot to put the gasket over the fuel sending unit so I did that step twice

A quick stop at NAPA after Tuckers got me a new fuel filter and some new fuel line. Their "Gold" line look just like Wiks filters and that is a good thing! None of the part numbers I have worked for a new canister so I used the old one that I crushed a little while removing.
Please don't lay under my truck until I can locate a new one.

...and I apologize if my rust free floors have you jealous but it's about time I got a good one! My other project just hit 12 years and to most it looks worse than when I got it.

I almost bought a new battery but luckily I looked for something in the other truck and forgot about the one that came out of the other other other project, my daughters Cherokee. SCORE!

Next is to clean up the 500 Holley, remove the choke plate from a doner carb and install it, and figure out the throttle linkage, choke linkage, and fuel lines.