View Single Post
Old October 19th, 2013, 02:47 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help for a new guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
OK, I replaced the distributor cap, rotor, wires, and adjusted the timing. Today I drove it to a shop on the maiden voyage to get the brakes inspected. When I pushed the choke in all the way and tried to get it out of first, it stalled every time. When I pulled the choke out a little bit, I was able to drive it. Very rough and my wife complained that I smelled like an old gas rag when I got home, but I was able to get it up to 50 MPH. Any ideas about what is going on?
Don't think I have helped much here and this is probably not the problem either, but it happened to me when I built my Rochester M the first time. I bought 3 disassembled Rochesters, 1 model M (manual choke) and 2 MV's (automatic choke) parts carbs to build one good one and the plan went fine, as I wanted the Model M. It ran rough but idled pretty good. Since all 3 carbs were completely disassembled I had put the metering rod spring under the power piston arm instead of on the top. The drawings in the kit instructions did not show the spring position, so it was a guess.

The pic is of one of my parts carbs and how the spring should be positioned.

Later---DAC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rochester M metering rod spring.jpg (629.7 KB, Multiple views, 5 clicks)

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday