View Single Post
Old February 24th, 2017, 09:41 PM

Truck: 1968 HM80 with a 478M and a few engines plus a Toro-Flow
turbobill is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Project Blown 305

If the 8V92 and 8V71 blowers turn out to be the same, in your search for info, you will probably find that it is driven faster on the 8V92 engine. I'm sure there is a Detroit Diesel forum out there for the guys that love 'em. Such a forum may also be linked to an page for old GMC trucks and buses. The Antique Historical Truck Society forum has a few guys that know the old Detroits well, so maybe they can tell you.

Scour ebay for old Detroit service manuals for both the 71 series and the 92 series. They may also have the tech info you're looking for. I have one from my military days, but it is buried somewhere lol, and it was on the 71 series. That was before the 92's came out.

I have a 478 that I'm going to boost with a turbo. That particular truck currently has a turbocharged 468 Chevy big block, but I've always wanted a 478 for it. Took well over 10 years to find a nice one and I've had it now 17 years so I need to get started. Retirement is less than two years away fortunately.

Also laying around is a 478 Toro-Flow and a few 305's. At least one of those will eventually wear a turbo too. (maybe both) Don't know what I'll use them in as I already have over 20 vehicles and really don't need any more lol. Guess I could always put them on display and run 'em now and then!