View Single Post
Old August 30th, 2013, 01:41 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help for a new guy

Good advice to follow from these guys. I would try a clear plastic fuel filter between the pump and carb too and keep an eye on it to see if a lot of debris collect in it. Rust or dirt from the fuel tank will be visible.

In 2009 I got a '55 GMC with a '66-'68ish Chevy 230 in it and the truck had been sitting in a field for 14 years prior to that. I was very fortunate the tank was clean and was able to drive it home like Fetch recommended while my wife followed. I rebuilt the carb and the fuel pump arm was broken but stroking enough to get a little gas. Replaced it. That was just to get it home. It has been my daily driver since 2011 when the title mess finally got cleared up and an aweful lot more time and work has been put into it but not a lot of money.

My point is you asked if you should walk away from it. That is a hard question because it depends on desire to work and learn because there will be work to do, but it can be done yourself. If you want something you could just fix the carb and start driving, problem free, this probably isn't going to work out that well as there is always something that will arise while driving an old truck! The more you can do yourself, the less you will spend.

Later---DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday