Thread: Running rich?
View Single Post
Old July 13th, 2017, 06:43 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1961 1500 Stepside
Jmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really nice
Default Running rich?

Hello all,
It's been awhile since I've posted.... Life has a habit of getting in the way LOL

I'm burning through spark plugs every 4 months or so. Now, I know that some of it is going to be because of the type of driving that I do each day (it's your typical stop/start and I live about 3 miles from work). So, the old man isn't getting the run that he needs/deserves..... There is one stretch where the speed limit is about 35 and I might sneak him up to 50 for a minute or two when traffic is good. But that's about it.

Anyway, despite the crappy driving conditions, I would've thought I should be getting more out of the spark plugs?

The fouling that I'm getting is leading me to think I'm running too rich (the plugs are carbonized and dry). Also, when I've got new plugs in I don't need to use the choke at all to start him, even in winter (or what passes for winter over here.... it got down to 45 last night!).

So, I guess my question is how do I confirm if I'm correct in my assumptions? If I am, what's the process to fix the problem? Part of what I'm struggling with is I don't know how to identify what model of carb I'm running, so it's a bit difficult to research what my options are as far as that's concerned.....

For some context, I'm definitely in the learning stages. So I'm likely going to ask a dumb question or 20 along the way.

Thanks!