View Single Post
Old June 3rd, 2016, 02:55 AM

Truck: 1962 GMC 1000 panel truck
Chuck78 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 5 speed/o.d. swap comparisons - WC/S10 T5 hybrid, NV4500, A833 MY6, Tremec 3550 Mustang

Novak even sell refurbished/modified versions of these for $1500! They show a picture of a 4x4 version, but I emailed them to see if they also have these available in 2 wheel drive, since they said to call or email before purchasing a transmission since there are so many different configurations available. This did not include any of the adapter pieces, but I still thought that was a fantastic price for a fresh transmission.

If doing 4x4 versions, the Dodge transfer case bolt holes are shifted slightly downward, but the Jeep guys say the flange is cast for either pattern, so redrilling for the standard jeep transfer case clocking position is very simple.

I am likely going to buy one of these. If I do find an a833 my6, I might end up using it so that I don't have to shorten my drive shaft a 2nd time, but this ax15 seems like the best in most passenger truck gmc big block V6 applications as long as one takes it easy when pulling heavy loads. The A833 I think may be a touch stronger but lacks the deeper 1st gear for help off the line, & the Jeep crowd really abuse these things with very low failure, so maybe they are just as good for the power?

One last note for this evening, the Chevy c10 swap guy noted that the 2wd version was hard to find a matching driveshaft yoke for, and that it was different from the 4x4 version yoke. Get one from the donor vehicle or else make sure you're buying one from a 2wd Jeep ax15 application. The Dakota 2wd yoke is likely the same.

I will be hopefully swapping one in this summer. May be acquiring one at a great price very soon.

Last edited by Chuck78; June 3rd, 2016 at 03:08 AM.