View Single Post
Old August 11th, 2013, 05:05 PM

Truck: GMC V12 powered '46 Chevy pu
Cayoterun is on a distinguished road
Default Re: An old man's journey with GMC 702 V12s

I haven't had anything much of interest to post for awhile. I never even took "Thumper" to any little local shows this summer. Just enjoyed little neighborhood rides within 10mi. of the house. About decided that most of the bugs has been worked out. Still much wiring left, mostly lights, but do have turn signals, thanks to Rap-em-papy. Runs and drives great up to it's 73mph @ 2400rpm max. Get lots of thumps-up when people pass.

However it's been interesting to hear local comments, or some friends and relatives who have come to visit us.
The locals will look at it as if it should be out in the junkpiles with most of all the V12s that once was used here. They act as if it's foolishness to still have one running and in a old junky truck. BUT, then they proceed to tell me of a V12 someone had and how durable it was, and how long it was run.
On the other hand, those from out of the area, will look at it with a sort of amazement that such a critter was built, and the uniqueness of the engineering.

We went out to Cimarron Heritage museum and moved the '62 GMC ton into her new building last month. The curator told us it's still a popular exhibit there.
That within itself makes the preservation of them worthwhile as well as the challenge of finding parts to make the old dinasaurs run, in addition to being alot of fun. Pricey tho, as those of you with the V6s know.

One thing I stress when talking with people notfamiliar with them. THEY ARE NOT A "HOT ROD" MOTOR. They were built to be a working engine, with an enormous torque.
With the now shortage of parts, If you break it, there's a chance it may not run again.

My ramble today for this post.

I think I'll fix it myself, and pay the extra $500.