View Single Post
Old September 26th, 2015, 09:20 PM

Truck: 1960-1966 1000-4000 series
David R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the roughDavid R Leifheit is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Carb leak - Stock Stromberg 23-133A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarke View Post
I've had a consistent gas leak in my carb since I've had this truck (6 or 7 years). I thought it might be leaking from the body joint/gasket towards the top part of the carb (sorry, not a carb guy, I don't know the proper terms), but the carb was rebuilt a year or two ago, it still leaks.

Recently, I have wiped the outside of the carb clean/dry and closely watched for the source of the leak(s). I'm fairly confident it's leaking from the two large silver colored screws on the front of the carb (lower area). Due to limited room, I used a penny to tighten them, but they were already tight and it still leaks the same. I have attached a photo...

The leak is not bad, but enough it drips occasionally and that makes me a little nervous.

What is the purpose of these screws? Can I take these out and apply some type of gas resistant sealer?

Curious to know if this is a common issue with this particular carb?

Thank you,

David
You can see the copper gasket around the edge of the screws in the picture, my guess is that the gasket wasn't replaced when the carb was rebuilt. I don't have a manual handy so I cannot tell you what they are for, but I can certainly tell you they shouldn't leak.
Did you rebuild the carb or did a shop do it?
mailto:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(2) 1961 1500
1962 1000
1963 2500
1963 4000
1964 2500