View Single Post
Old September 27th, 2015, 05:10 AM
-= Dues Paid =-

Truck: 1962 1500 Wideside, 1961 1000 Wideside
snazzypig is a jewel in the roughsnazzypig is a jewel in the roughsnazzypig is a jewel in the roughsnazzypig is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Carb leak - Stock Stromberg 23-133A

I believe the Strombergs are notorious for leaking at the main jet plugs. I recently bought an old stock WW rebuilt by a national rebuilder possibly 30 years ago and they had sealed the threads with some sort of clear epoxy. The nasty gas we're forced to use today will probably dissolve the epoxy sooner or later. I don't know of any chemical sealer that today's gas won't attack.

AZKen's advice is good. New copper sealing rings tightened well, with the sealing faces free from nicks or imperfections. I speak from experience. A few weeks ago I rebuilt a Stromberg and did see a small nick on one of the sealing faces of the carb. I securely tightened both plugs with new copper rings, hoping they both would seal. Wrong. When I placed the carb into service, the defective side immediately began to seep gas.

Also, the two small plugs at the front that look like little derbys could also be seeping.