View Single Post
Old December 24th, 2015, 04:08 PM

Truck: 1964 GMC 1500 LWB Wideside 305E V6.
TJ's GMC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SO who came up with the GMC V6's???

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bongert View Post
Greetings TJ!

As to who at GM came up with the design of the big block V-6, well, that's information that I don't have, although I also would like to know who that person was. As to the comparison between the 292 I-6 and the various versions of the GMC Big Block V-6's, I'll take the Big Block V-6's any day of the week before I would take the 292 I-6. As many here know, I once owned a 1963 Chevy 30 Series (1 ton) pickup originally equipped with the 292 I-6 which I eventually replaced with a GMC 305 V-6. Now, there will be those here who will disagree with me, but my feeling is that the 292 I-6 was nothing more than a glorified car engine put in a truck, and not necessarily designed to be a truck engine, although GM engineers would differ with me on that point. I know, because my Dad and I had plenty of problems with the 292. When I replaced the 292 with the GMC 305 V-6, those problems all disappeared. Now, having said that, yes, the 292 would be faster on acceleration and rev higher than a BB V-6, but as you indicated, the GMC V-6 will outlug the 292 six ways from Sunday, and all in all is a much more durable engine than the 292 ever was or will ever be. I know you have several 292's in your collection, and that you are very pleased with them. My experience has been the 292 is an engine (along with a few other GM engines) that I do not strongly favor.

On a lighter note, Merry Christmas to all here in the 6066 GMC Truck Club!
Thanks for the reply! SO what problems did you have with the 292? The stock 292 that was in my C10 performed nicely even when towing, but I have now gone through and hotrodded it. lol So it doesn't count as a comparison anymore. But yes, I'm pleased with my 292's. But when I came across my GMC with the V6 I was even More pleased because I never had seen one in person before so I had to have it. lol I Love my V6 and like I mentioned...wouldn't trade it for a SBC or anything for that matter accept a bigger V6. But I'm interested to know what you didn't like about the 292's? GM engineers made the 230's and 250's to be more of a car engine and the 292 to be the truck engine of the bunch(not trying to start an argument). The 292 was made the truck engine because of how much taller the deck height was and the much longer stroke to get that added torque which for my experience in a light duty truck served nicely. But in a large C30 like you had that may have been a different story, but I can easily understand why you'd prefer the V6....they were made so bullet proof and durable its crazy. lol Merry Christmas to you to!

1964 Chevy C20 292/SM420
1966 Chevy C10 292 hotrod 6/TKO600

My youtube channel aka Military Chevy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.