View Single Post
Old March 12th, 2017, 04:45 AM

Truck: 1968 KM2500
bigblockv6 will become famous soon enoughbigblockv6 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Project Blown 305

If you're going to use the 305E bellhousing you'll definitely need the right 8 bolt flywheel for the 478. There were early 8 bolt flywheels used on 62-65 6500 series trucks that were the correct diameter and if you got a hold of one of these it would require machining an adapter to accept the smaller light duty pilot bearing because the hole in the center is much larger. The other alternative is a 379 flywheel if you can find one which is a straight bolt in. Myself I went with a custom flywheel from Tilton Engineering and of course it was balanced with the whole rotating assembly of the 478M, a good amount of weight was added to the flywheel. Another issue I need to bring up is Tilton never machined the flywheel surface facing the engine block to clear the four bolts that bolt the bellhousing to the engine block, that machined relief area is very evident on a 305E flywheel. I ended up grinding down the heads of the 4 bolts to achieve the right clearance Here's a pic of my custom 478 flywheel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010004.JPG (370.4 KB, Multiple views, 8 clicks)