View Single Post
Old May 20th, 2013, 07:50 AM

Truck: GMC V12 powered '46 Chevy pu
Cayoterun is on a distinguished road
Default Re: An old man's journey with GMC 702 V12s

Quote:
Thats A Nice Bomb you have there in the bed.

Good to see some one getting out on the weekends and showing off one of those V12s.
Jolly:
That tank was out of another pickup. Back in the days when propane was the cheapest fuel of choice in farm machinery and pickups around here, about every pickup had a tank that size in the back. The tanks are designed with "wet" valves in them so liquid propane could be transfered to other tanks.
I do need to get the valve guard bolted back on it, tho. Should have done that before posting pic.

Mid-60s, I had a '62 Ford 1/2 ton/w a I6 on propane for farm use. I had a tank about that size in it, and could go about a 900 mi. on a tank. We could get a Flat Fee Farm users permit sticker for a year, then could use farm fuel in them/w no Okla. road tax. Had to turn in a mileage report each year. Farm propane was $.07 cents a gallon. We had to pay Fed. road use tax, tho.
By the mid-70s, diesel had pretty well become king.
Anymore, having propane on these V12s, the propane is about as much a novelty as the motor, which the irrigation motors were built for propane or Natural gas.
I check all the valves and fittings pretty often with soap for leaks. I feel safer with propane than gasoline. I used to work for a propane distributor in Mo., drove their 9,000gal transport to and from the refinery some, as well as house to house with a 2,400 gal tank truck. They schooled us all pretty good on all the do's and don'ts.

I think I'll fix it myself, and pay the extra $500.