View Single Post
Old September 28th, 2013, 07:08 AM

Truck: '63 K1000, '66 C4000
Rockdriller is on a distinguished road
Default Re: An old man's journey with GMC 702 V12s

Quote:
It was also pushing that water down line, maybe, up to a mile. Have gated pipe on the end out into the water furrows. Better make sure to have enough gates open to discharge, when you cranked up. As the water got further down the line, you could hear the motor loading up, then when the line was full, air pushed out, and water out all the gates, it would then level off.

I don't ever remember seeing a gauge at the pump. We were suppose to gradually increase RPM until the pipes were full, but we have blown some lines apart by increasing throttle too fast.

At night, the exhaust manifolds would be glowing cherry-red. If a cylinder was getting weak, there would be a darker spot on the manifold.
How cool is that..?
Most folks would be amazed at the physical effects that you experience while standing next to a power plant like the V-12 when you light it up......or maybe the thrill of watching (and feeling) the thing as it takes on a full load and torques over on it's isolators and then settles down and goes to work.
It really does make yer hair stand right up and puts goose bumps all over ya.
I remember some time I spent some years ago while drilling in the Cherokee Strip area ....
I was far away from home, working 7-12's......eating, drinkin' and sleeping ....and then I ran into a bunch of wonderful folks from the Perry area..And that's when the **** hit the fan...
You folks from Oklahoma quickly became my favorite of all time....
I never had more fun while away from home in all my life. Everyone took such good care of me and fed me and made sure I was content...they never left me alone long enough to get homesick. Those folks had me out noodling' on the second weekend....and to an OSU home football game ...I'm sure proud to be an honorary Okie......and still hope to get back there again.......some time before the big round-up.
I'm thinkin you've lived a pretty colorful life.....and I'm sure I speak for the rest of the Forum members when I say that you have an open invitation to rant....or yarn or just plain old BS....Please....Tell us as much as you can about your times in the field and the big ol V-12's. I'm sure there's more grist fer the mill.