View Single Post
Old October 6th, 2015, 03:18 PM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Original 1964 305E V6 Piston Size

Greetings Campy!

I'll throw in my two cents worth here as well. Indeed, the stamp ".040" on the top of the piston means that the engine has been rebuilt once before. Now for a little further information, if you wish to "refresh" your engine, and if the bores DO NOT exceed a .010 taper (from top to bottom of ring travel in the cylinders, anything over .010 taper is unacceptable for re-ringing an engine) you can get by with running a glaze breaker or other cylinder honing tool, and installing new .040 overbore rings, and new rod bearings. Be sure to note the stamp on the backside of the bearing shell i.e., STD (standard), .010, .020, etc, since this will indicate whether or not the crankshaft has been reground. Also note the condition of the rod bearing shells. They should be dull grey in color with no exposed copper backing, not pitted or "galled," scored, or otherwise show any signs of damage that would indicate that a crank regrind is in order. By the same token, the crankpins should be relatively smooth in appearance and not scratched or showing other signs of foreign material causing scratches or gouges in the crankshaft. Use a good micrometer to check the crankpins for out of round and taper. Please note that re-ringing ("refreshing") an engine should only be done if the engine block is not severely worn and in need of another re-bore and new oversized pistons and rings, and/or a crankshaft regrind.