View Single Post
Old May 6th, 2023, 04:31 PM

Truck: 1961 K1001 Suburban
Ledslinger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What color were the wheels originally on my 1962 K1000 Suburban?

Pulled the tires off the front of my truck and there's no indication the wheels were ever white. One of the wheels had some high spot wear on the inside from a tube being installed at some point.

If when I pull the back tires off there is any indication the wheels were ever white, I'll paint them white. I'm pretty sure they were always black, and since the vehicle original owner was a university geology department, there is little logic in anyone repainting the wheels.

I suppose the best explanation as offered, is that the original base 15" wheels, or optional 16" wheels were found lacking in some regard. Either traction off road or ground clearance, and a set of 17.5" wheels were ordered through dealer replacement parts source. Possibly these wheels arrived black and there was no reason to repaint them. Or someone decided the truck should have this option and installed them before delivery.

If my truck has dealer installed 17.5" wheel option, that is part of its history, and I will keep that history.

Are white GMC wheels also white between the beads and on the back?