View Single Post
Old January 22nd, 2017, 05:06 PM

Truck: Former owner Repowered by GMC 305 V-6, 1963 Chevy 30 Series SM420 Long Bed (9') Step/Fenderside
George Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enoughGeorge Bongert will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Spun a rod bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubarlow View Post
Not 100 percent certain, but I think I spun a rod bearing or there is a wrist pin knock in my 305. Where is a good place to get the parts I need? It looks like the local parts store can get me a pan gasket and the bearings, but I would like to change out the oil pump and see if I need lifters replaced. Looking for a source for ALL my engine parts. If it is a wrist pin, I would possibly need a piston, rings, and a pin. Local parts store CLAIMS to be able to get the gasket and bearings within 3 days, but I have found that claim to be false more than once on the oddball stuff I deal with.

Greetings hubarlow!

If you spun a rod bearing, I'm afraid you are in for a little more than a pan gasket and bearings. More than likely, the connecting rod will have to be re-furbished, or replaced, depending upon how much damage was done by the spun bearing, and, you will have to have the crankshaft re-ground, since a spun bearing damages both. I hate to be the bearer of news like this, but I have seen badly scored connecting rods resulting from spun bearings, and some pretty serious crankshaft damage as well. I hope that it IS NOT as serious as you think it may be.