Thread: Radiator.
View Single Post
Old April 15th, 2013, 06:46 PM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Radiator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67K2500305E View Post
Does the V6 use a different radiator than the V8 trucks? I need to replace the radiator that was stolen from my truck. It is a 1967 GMC K2500 with a 305D that the original owner replaced the 305E with. My retainers are currently 26" apart. I bought a radiator from the local shop that fits the 26" mounting width, but my fan shroud does not fit it. When I was tinkering last night I noticed mounting points exactly 2" from the passenger side retainer.

Link to the radiator the shop sold me: http://m.summitracing.com/parts/pli-438162

Link to the radiator listed for my truck: http://m.summitracing.com/parts/pli-433366
'67 was the first year of the crossflow radiator, and even tho the listing states
V-8, I think GMC and Chev with an I-6 used that narrower radiator. They didn't use a full shroud, just a deflector over the top of the fan mainly to protect a person from the moving fan. Welcome from the Black Hills, by the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaerl2 View Post
I know that the radiator shroud for the 67-69 V6 4x4 is the same as a 67-72 GM truck V8 big block. Who knows what the Summit radiator will fit. I would try NAPA. Maybe Lewis can help you, he works for them.
Yeah, there were a couple different "depths" of shrouds, but they fit the wider radiator. Crossflow radiators from many different older GM makes will interchange without modification, for example, I have a '72 GMC C2500 with a 350 and back in the 80's I put a 4 core from a '72 Cadillac Coupe De-Ville in it. That '72 GMC would dimensionally be the same as the '67. It was a direct bolt-in with the wider mount positions and I am still using that same radiator.

On the left is a radiator from a '64 Chevy pickup that dimensionally may be the same as GMC's of that era, with possible exception of the upper radiator hose location. The one on the right is for a '70 GMC with heavy duty cooling which fits the wider mounts referred to above. That one should work fine in a '67 too and have plenty of cooling capacity for a V-6.

Later---DAC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 64 and 70 radiators 001.jpg (94.1 KB, Multiple views, 5 clicks)

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday