View Single Post
Old November 11th, 2015, 04:02 PM

Truck: 1962 GMC 1000 panel truck
Chuck78 is on a distinguished road
Default 5 speed/o.d. swap comparisons - WC/S10 T5 hybrid, NV4500, A833 MY6, Tremec 3550 Mustang

I'm getting back to my neglected 62 GMC 1000 panel after a decade of 4 house rehabs and a trade in interests from 70-81 Camaro to now 1970's Japanese motorcycles (Suzuki GS, Rickman framed superbikes, kz1000/z1/etc).

I need to pull the engine to replace a bad freeze plug in the rear, and at least do all new gaskets if not a total teardown and overbore/valve job/etc. Figured might as well give it the royal treatment and ditch the Saginaw 4 speed (slightly noisy, want stronger trans + o.d.) I swapped into it years ago in favor of a 5 speed o.d.

I want an affordable reliable swap that's not too involved, but I need something that can hold up to hauling, even an occasional car trailer loaded down.

Options:
*Tremec TKO500 $$$$$$$$$

*Dodge gasoline NV4500 with bell adapter from Advance Adaptors
-very tough, deep granny gear, very very heavy. I've read the rear engine crossmember needs chopped up substantially for clearance for this trans.

*Camaro/Firebird 88+ World Class T5 with S10 T5
tail section and shifter
-seems much more viable behind a hauler GMC V6 than a standard S10 t5, but have to buy two trannies to find a V8 Camaro/Firebird 88-92 World Class T-5 and S10*T5 tailshaft/shifter donor, and still have a transmission that I'd have to baby if ever hauling a car trailer (not very often, every few years.)

*New Process A833 MY6 4 speed o.d. with standard GM bell pattern
-harder to find, still only a four speed but with better highway gear. originally in GM G10 vans, with the basis of this transmission coming from Mopar muscle cars, so fairly strong.

*Tremec 3550 retrofit from a Mustang (from a yahoo group archived post of mine years ago):

For half of the cost of a new TKO500 and Tremec mid-shifter kit....* The older version of the TKO was called a 3550.* I have a NOS new in box Tremec 3550 for GM applications for my Camaro, as I have previously mentioned.* These trannies also came in a Ford Bellhousing bolt pattern and input shaft, and were used in several years of Mustangs.*
I've been talking to a guy at Modern Driveline, and they can set me up with a rebuild kit for a 3550, as well as a GM 1-1/8" 26 spline input shaft , and I believe I will need the GM diameter input bearing retainer as well, unless the Ford is the same 4-11/16" (doubt it).* They are telling me that the Ford trannies are close enough in bolt patterns that you can redrill a Ford version trans no problem for the GM bellhousing bolt pattern.* Now we're talking!!!! Alright, a viable used tranny that's rated for 425 ft-lbs in a 5200
lb vehicle!!!!* The 3550's weren't as good as a TKO-500, which handles 500
ft-lbs and has a much better shift rail design, but I can deal with tinkering with the shifter and shift rail to make it work for me!*