Thread: 4x4 Wheels
View Single Post
Old February 8th, 2016, 12:54 AM

Truck: I have 4 GMCs, none with a V-6 - YET! Have had 2 in the family.
GMCDAC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 4x4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchampagne View Post
Hello all,

I recently bought a 65 GMC Suburban 4x4 and would like to find some 16 x 7" 6 lug steel wheels with nubs that will work. I believe I should be looking for GMC or Chevy steel wheels from the 1970s? I've been searching craigslist locally, but the 16" steel wheels (I think from the late 80s and 90s) I've been finding don't appear to have a large enough centers for my hubs. I would think these 16" steel wheels would be readily available, especially at junkyards, but I am having trouble finding them. Any advice on what I should be looking for is much appreciated!

Thank you,
Ken
Hi Ken welcome from western South Dakota. I'm with AZKen on this one as far as going with 15's but as Funky61 pointed out they're out there in the 16" variety. I think the 16's are fairly rare and expensive though. The one epay listing was $110 shipped but he only had one. Maybe in the Denver area they are easier to find than here.

The stock 15's from my '70 K5 Jimmy went on my '55 GMC and fit perfectly as I got a set of rallys for the Jimmy. Tires are also much more affordable in the 15" size. The '55 originally had a 16" wheel too but they were long gone when I got the truck. Managed to find two of them at a decent price but everything else I found was stupid expensive. Since I drive the crap out of the '55 I decided to go with the 15" setup for budget reasons, and they look nice too.

One of my sisters and her husband live in Littleton.

DAC

1970 GMC K5 Jimmy Mom drove 30 years
1972 GMC C2500 owned since 1979
1955 GMC 100 driver-project
2006 GMC Yukon Denali---wife's truck

Hope to have a '60 GMC Suburban again someday