View Single Post
Old September 28th, 2016, 09:54 AM
-= Site Supporter =-

Truck: 1961 1500 Stepside
Jmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really niceJmclendon is just really nice
Default Who needs strobe lights? AKA Headlights flickering on high-beam

Hello all,
We've got to stop meeting this way.

So, here I am driving along being all cocky about no-longer alerting the neighbourhood that I can't shift into first gear properly, when I think to myself "self, it's getting a bit dusky out. You love this truck. Can't have anyone running into you (as if he could go unnoticed). Maybe it's best you turn your lights on."

A couple of minutes later, the headlights are flashing like it's a scene out of Saturday Night Fever (I'm guessing there was some disco flashing in that? Don't judge me, it was before my time).

I had a bit of a play and it looks like low beam is ok, the tail-lights and the indicator aren't effected. But, after a little bit in high-beam, the head lights flicker on and off and I can hear a bit of what I'm assuming must be alternator whine coming from under the hood. Turn the high beams off and the whine stops, as does the flickering.

Based on the symptoms, I'm thinking it's not enough juice getting to where it needs to go? Maybe? However, the alternator is brand new, as is the battery. I can't say it's been on many long drives as of late. Just a bit around the block and whatnot. So could it be that I've started it too many times without driving enough to give the alternator a chance to top the battery up?

Thoughts?