View Single Post
Old February 24th, 2017, 11:42 PM

Truck: 1966 GMC
Pops is on a distinguished road
Default Re: dash lights come on when I depress brake/no brake lights

Feedback from 6066 members has been a blessing to me. Thank you and God bless. I can only imagine how much you saved me had I dropped this off at a shop.
So here's the report. Hope it's a help to others:

1. As indicated above, the brass socket was lose where it exited the tail light housing. This was part of problem. See #4 below.
2. I put a circular wire brush on drill and cleaned (to bear metal) existing holes on frame and tail light brackets that would be used for grounding; also brush-cleaned bolts, nuts, and washers. Also sprayed with electrical cleaner.
3. Used 10 gauge wire and ring terminals to ground the frame to light brackets, and, frame to rear of bed (3 wires in all; nothing excessive in length). I didn't have ring terminals large enough to use in existing holes in frame so I stripped about 3 inches of wire jacket, twisted the wire and then rolled it around the bolt that was sized appropriately (about 1/4") for the hole in the frame. I then took the bare wire in its rounded shape and melted solder on it (this worked great and it didn't break or distort when bolted down between the two washers). I used flat washers and lock washers at each bolt area.
4. When all was completed, I was pleased to see blinkers, tail lights, brake lights, and NO dash lights.
5. I put the lenses back on and went to try everything out just to confirm a done deal. Dash lights were back when I depressed the brake and left tail light was malfunctioning. I wiggled the tail light boot at back of housing and the light worked fine. So, I removed the lens, got my drill out and drilled some material away to clean spot at edge of brass socket and housing to assure the solder would join the two components. Spot soldered the socket to housing. As of this typing, NO issues found at dash or rear lights.
6. Per the advice of forum helpers, I'm going to reground front of truck and anything that deals with headlamps. Also, I will be skimming the bear metal areas with silicone or prime to inhibit rust or corrosion.

THANK YOU - and God bless you helpers. Very helpful forum support!