Thread: New Guy Alert
View Single Post
Old May 29th, 2013, 04:38 AM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
62Stepside is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Guy Alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryGMC View Post
Way cool a spokanite With a 305 v6 in a jeep. Jeeps aND jIMMIES ARE MY PASSION. I think I know why the v6 is in the truck. The government bought lots of Kaiser built stuff in the 60's with the horrible tornado engine. Locally the forrest dept also bought a lot of GMC Stuff. The tornadoes blew up regularly at very low miles. Now I have a 67 M715 with a 318 mopar that came from fairchild AFB. I bought this 20 years ago. It had a tornado engine that blew up in 71 at 3500 miles. In the 60's and 70's the airforce had lots of dodge trucks. A friend of mine was a mechanic at the base in the 70's and said they put mopar stuff in the m715 trucks because it was common knowledge the tornadoe engines were no good and they had lots of mopar crate engines and the occasional wreaked truck for parts. Finally I have seen a lot of chevy 292 conversions in m715 trucks. These appear to be Gov-mt approved because I have seen some paperwork to support this. So since the forrest service had gmc and kaiser built stuff at the same time it would not surprise me to see the motor pool mechanics use what they had, and from what I have seen on the other conversions the work was good. Barry. Spokane WA
That makes perfect sense. I've seen a few m715's with the 318. That's a good motor, too.

It's nice to see another Spokanite around the forum! If you see us out and about, honk and wave and we can shoot the breeze!