View Single Post
Old February 11th, 2024, 09:56 PM

Truck: I don't own one - YET!
vwgreg is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Looking for information - Buying a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziemeister'sV6 View Post
Been on this road before myself and friends of mine. First thing I would do is look at your State's Motor Vechicle guide lines on GVWs. If the GVW is over 26,000 pounds ( an example ) you may need - different operators license, commerical insurance (farm trucks rules vary) and higher road license plate tax based on the tonnage. This is a problem with older grain trucks that have a beautiful cab/body and would make a easy swap onto a smaller tonnage frame. But the VIN# on the Title/ and Plate on the cab tells the WHOLE story at the Courthouse DOT Office. You could change the VIN Plate on the cab but the title has its VIN # - I WOULDN'T EVEN think of messing with any alterations to either. Just walk away. Just do your homework before you make any decisions.
Thank you for the post.

I know about the issues with registration and the state. I can have and have had an over 26k GVW truck before - FL80. I no longer have a class A CDL but hold a chauffeur license.

The thing with Michigan, where I live, is vehicles before 1984 are licensed by manufacturer's curb weight but after it is licensed by MSRP. The exception is with commercial vehicles over 26k. So if I got the 1966, it would be strictly on weight and cost $48 for plates on the truck. I am trying to avoid anything after 1980 because I am so sick of emissions and auto transmission problems.

The title and Vin stuff always make me nervous, I have owned problem vehicles in the past, and I have one sitting here that I can not apply for a title for thanks to claims of ownership that have to be established by a property owner who sold it to me and they are no longer the owner of the property and I can not find them anywhere.